ERT – Emergency Shelter/Non-Food Item Project Manager
South Sudan Jobs ( southsudanJobs.com )
Role & Responsibilities
Manage ERT ES/NFI assessments, distributions, and related processes; while contributing to the overall quality of Medair ES/NFI programming in South Sudan. Cover for the ES/NFI Project Manager when needed. The ERT ES/NFI manager (emergency shelter and non-food items manager) is a member of Medair’s Emergency Response Team. The ERT ES/NFI Manager will focus mainly on assisting displaced people in need of NFI’s and emergency shelter, but may assist in other interventions as well.
The Emergency Response Team is primarily based in Juba and travels to field locations responding to outbreaks, emergencies, and population displacements across all of South Sudan. The team covers emergency responses in four main sectors: water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), health, nutrition, and ES/NFI.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with regular travel to field sites. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Manage ERT ES/NFI field sites as assigned by the ERT ES/NFI Project Manager – including management of staff, finances, logistics and coordination with local leaders.
- Manage assessments, verification, registration, and distribution processes as assigned by the ERT ES/NFI Project Manager. Represent Medair at local and state levels with other partners and local authorities.
- Identify the ES/NFI needs for affected populations through assessments.
- Lead and facilitate appropriate verification and registration processes for affected populations.
- Lead and facilitate appropriate distributions to meet identified ES/NFI needs for affected populations.
- Lead and facilitate post-distribution monitoring exercises.
- Coordinate with ES/NFI partners in field locations.
- Input into the development and updating of Medair and cluster standards for assessment, verification, and distribution. Advise on the suitability of ES/NFIs as per the needs and the population.
- Input and manage data through ONA and other data collection tools and online platforms.
- Write analysis, distribution, and post-distribution monitoring (PDM) reports for internal and external dissemination in coordination with the ES/NFI Project Manager.
- Attend meetings when requested at Juba and field levels.
- Cover for Central Equatoria State Focal Point when requested (covering state-wide stock reporting, coordination, etc.) Represent Medair to local authorities and partner agencies while on ground in field sites.
- Staff Management
- Responsible to act as team leader on a site when requested – with authority over other Medair staff in the field sites. Act as team leader for inter-agency teams on site when requested.
- Assist in the hiring and supervision of casual labour assisting in NFI activities or logistical support.
- Line manage one Senior ES/NFI Officer and one ES/NFI Officer.
- Ensure assessments, verification, registration, and distribution processes are done in line with cluster and Medair standards. Ensure that all reporting and administration is done on time and according to the relevant guidelines and is reported accurately.
- Ensure that ES/NFI shelter is reaching emergency affected populations and not being distributed indiscriminately. Mainstream protection in all activities.
Logistics and security
- Responsible for logistics arrangements (staff/cargo movements) related to specific field sites.
- Share security information with your team and the ERT ES/NFI Project Manager and/or the team leader.
- Assist with information for developing the annual budget for the ERT ES/NFI project.
- Management of daily expenses used for the project, including entering expenses into field expense reports following completion of field assignments.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate degree and experience in a relevant field. Development, management, or construction, background desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Arabic desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- Previous emergency response, ES/NFI experience. Experience working with staff from different cultures desirable.
- Working skills with Word, Excel, and use of email. Use of ODK, ONA or other data collection tool desirable.
- Report writing, critical thinking, strategy and knowledge of ES/NFI assessments and distributions.
- Shelter construction, post distribution monitoring, creative solutions and community capacity building.
- Able to lead a team of staff, both Medair and inter-agency teams. Ability to speak in front large groups confidently and interact with local leaders, diverse teams.
- Flexible and willing to work in often difficult and undeveloped environments, including camping, travel and working in many different sites over the course of the contract.
- Able to thrive in isolated settings with sometimes limited social interaction.
- Good communicator, able to work well with people from different tribes and cultures.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.