South Sudan Jobs southsudanjobs.com
Role & Responsibilities
Provide technical support to ensure implementation of quality medical services within the health interventions in Renk, with a focus on diagnosis and management, in line with South Sudan and internationally relevant treatment guidelines. The Medical Manager will primarily act as a focal point for quality improvement in health care delivery for clinical staff in Abayok and Wunthou clinics.
Renk County is located in Upper Nile State, and is situated on the border with Sudan. Despite general stability in the area, the local health system remains fragile and there are ongoing population movements. There is a high prevalence of communicable diseases like malaria and acute respiratory infections, and high levels of malnutrition.
Medair’s aim in Renk County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable displaced and host populations through the provision of emergency WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene), healthcare, and nutrition services. Medair operates two primary health care clinics in Abayok and Wunthou, which include outpatient, nutrition services, and reproductive health care. Essential maternal and newborn services, towards implementation of the Minimal Initial Service Package, are provided, including antenatal and postnatal care. In addition, in Abayok clinic Medair provides 24-hour skilled delivery services and an inpatient Stabilisation Centre for severely malnourished children with complications. Medair has been providing these services in Renk County since 2011 and remains one of the only health actors, and the only long-term nutrition partner.
Medair is also implementing integrated Community Case Management (iCCM) in remote villages where access to healthcare is difficult, and has set up Care Groups through which behavioural change communication messages are cascaded to the community.
Workplace & Conditions
Field-based position in Renk, South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
August 2020. Full time, 12 to 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Support improvement of the clinical, technical aspects of health care delivery in Medair’s Health programmes in Renk, in line with South Sudan and relevant international guidelines. This includes Abayok Clinic and Wunthou Clinic (Outpatient Department, EPI and Reproductive Health). Areas of focus include child health and integrated management of childhood illnesses, reproductive health and communicable diseases, including COVID-19 preparedness and response.
- Monitor the quality of services at health facilities and identify gaps, problems and solutions, in collaboration with the Health Project Manager, health team and facility staff.
- Provide technical support to clinicians and other health staff, through on the job training, one-on -one clinical supervision and group training sessions.
- Engage directly with health staff at the clinics, review clinical guidelines and protocols and discuss patient treatment plans where needed.
- Conduct regular supervision assessments on individual clinicians.
- Develop and update resources to support clinicians and health staff, including job aids.
- Work closely with the Health Project Manager and health team to monitor medication prescription and promote rational use of medications.
- Provide feedback on and input into Medair’s quality improvement activities and reporting tools.
- Work across other Medair sectors in Renk, including nutrition and WASH programming to support clinical improvement activities that impact health outcomes.
- Perform other tasks as required, as requested by the Health Project Manager.
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the team, especially Health Project Manager, Health Managers and Clinic-In-Charge.
- Participate and proactively engage in health team and facility meetings.
- Represent, where necessary, Medair at relevant local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (doctor), though would consider nurse practitioner, physician’s assistant, with strong South Sudan experience.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ post-qualification professional experience.
- Good communications and training skills, ability to communicate ideas clearly such as in guidelines and job aids.
- Ability to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks.
- Able to set clear clinical objectives for staff.
- Committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and The Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability (CHS).
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values
- Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
- Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
southsudanJobs.com is the place for jobseekers to find the job of their dreams and for recruiters to advertise their vacancies to find/reach the right candidates.